Thursday, December 7, 2017

Library Workshop: Montessori Mathematics Materials Part I

I'm leading a workshop series at my local public library on progressive education. The sessions will take place on Tuesday evenings from October 3 to December 12 (not including Halloween).

Some of the sessions are on Montessori and some are on Waldorf. Here I will put a corresponding series of blog posts listing what materials I took with me, both to help out other people who may be leading similar workshops and to help me out if I do another set of workshops like these in the future!


Montessori Mathematics Materials Part I

I had materials set up at a short table as well as a long conference table which was made up of four tables.

I began the workshop at the short table, by explaining the Golden Bead Material and showing how the Small Number Cards and Large Number Cards help students to understand place value, how students carry a tray across the room to collect the Golden Bead Material to help them solve the problems (putting the golden beads in the little golden unit cups), as well as how the number cards can be stacked on each other or slid apart to show expanded notation.

I then moved to the white board and explained in detail the place value color coding used in Montessori (a white board and three markers: green, blue, red are SO helpful to have here). I demonstrated the number families (the simple family, the thousands family, and the millions family) and how I teach children how to read large numbers. I also demonstrated the dice game and recommended it for practice in reading large numbers.

I then moved to the long conference table and worked my way around the materials placed out on it. I explained the Short and Long Bead Chains and how they are used in skip counting and how they are folded to show the square and cube of each number, the Colored Bead Material, building the Decanomial, dynamic subtraction with the Stamp Game and then with the Small Bead Frame and, finally, how to do long multiplication with a one and two digit multiplier with the Checker Board. I left the Flat Bead Frame and the Decimal Checker Board for people to explore for themselves.

I had instructions from my NAMC binders laid out by many of the materials, to support people exploring them independently:

    page 124 - Learning About Geometrical Multiplication

    page 67 - Skip Counting, Using the Short Bead Chains

    page 69 - Skip Counting, Using the Long Bead Chains

    page 72 - Building the Decanomial

    page 152 - Adding with Exchanging, Using the Small Bead Frame

    page 168 - Multiplying with One Digit, Using the Flat Bead Frame

    page 177 - Multiplying by One Digit Numbers, Using the Checkerboard

    page 187 - Bank Game


All of the materials I brought for this session were either from Great Extensions or Nienhuis Montessori. I had them arranged in this order:


additional session presentation materials: whiteboard, whiteboard markers (red, green, blue, black) and eraser, white six-sided die

homeschool organization: Becca's plan book, my plan book, box of Lyra Waldorf Selection colored pencils, Prismacolor gold and silver pencils

business materials: business cards, attendance sheet, session topic handout, book group flyers

No comments: