Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Getting Ready for a New Baby

I am incredibly emotional right now. I literally sobbed when we took the dryer to be recycled. As we drove away I just couldn't help tearing up when I thought about how hard working and loyal it had been for 60 years... and then to have such a fate, to be dumped unceremoniously at Cimco. My husband was so gentle and kind, telling me about how its story isn't over, how it will become part of something new and in that way carry on.

I suppose it is part of getting ready to have a baby. People keep asking me if I am ready to be done being pregnant. NO. I know perfectly well that, at 39, this might be the last time I ever get to experience pregnancy and I'm grateful for every moment, swollen feet and all. I love being tuned into my body and to be able to share this with my husband, who has not been a father before. I love knowing that we will get to meet our son soon, but I would be fine waiting a few more weeks before that happens.

Part of getting ready for a new baby has nothing to do with shopping or organizing areas of your home. Today I think my mind is very much on inner work. I am feeling incredibly compelled to read two things: The Education of the Child in the Light of Anthroposophy and The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are

Given how sensitive I am right now, and how very deeply every impression is going in, I think there could be no better use of this time than to read and center myself.

P.S. The Steiner link is to the free translation of this lecture, available online.

No comments: