Friday, November 25, 2011

Pippi and the South Seas

Yay! I taught Leah how to purl. She ended up using some leftover pink yarn to make a scarf for her doll, Jane (a recent birthday present -- my girls have all asked for dolls this year -- yes, you never outgrow them). I always think of Pippi in the South Seaswhen I purl. The two needles coming toward each other (instead of "side by side like brothers") I think of as the sharks attacking. When you wrap the yarn around and push it away from you back through your loop, I think of the time when Pippi wrapped her arms around the shark's neck and threw it far out into the sea. Purl of course, is "pearls" that the children dove for.

Hey, it works for me!




I'm sure there's some kind of Waldorf verse for learning to purl but I don't know what it is.

No comments: