Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Creation

I recently asked a musician friend of mine whether any composer had been inspired by the Creation and written a piece of music about it, figuring that he would say yes. I was not disappointed. He promptly said, yes, Franz Joseph Haydn wrote a famous oratorio called The Creation
I borrowed a copy and it's fabulous. I highly recommend this recording to Montessori First Great Lesson teachers/Waldorf 3rd grade Old Testament Story teachers/Sunday School teachers/lovers of music/everyone I know. We will play it on Monday while we are learning about Michelangelo's painting of the Sistine Chapel and practicing his fresco technique (Discovering Great Artists: Hands-On Art for Children in the Styles of the Great Masters by MaryAnn Kohl, page 24).



Haydn - The Creation / Piau, Padmore, Davies, Gabrieli Consort & Players, McCreesh

No comments: