Sunday, January 31, 2010

Maple Syrup Candy

Last night I told the girls about the scene that I always remembered from Little House in the Big Woodswhere they pour maple syrup out on the snow and it hardens to form candy. So the girls begged me to let them try it. We have plenty of fresh clean snow outside (my mom never let me do this when I was a girl because the dirt was always too close to the surface of the snow) so today I gave the girls a little creamer of syrup and they went outside. Natalie reported that it didn't harden all the way but was still tasty.

We are going to finish our current read aloud Monday night so it's time for a new one. The girls are begging to finish the Narnia series but I think we may go with Laura Ingalls Wilder instead.

Here's a good book about how maple syrup is made:

No comments: