Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Musings on a Bible Alphabet

Okay, so I just made a spreadsheet of the Sundays in the S S year and there are 37. The last Sunday (the week before Memorial Day weekend) is always the end of year class play. So that leaves 36. I can do the alphabet plus time for preparing for the play very comfortably in there. Yes, you may be saying, but what about the 2-day cycle? What about the forgetting and remembering? Well, so I can do some of the alphabet or all of the alphabet. Probably just some. I love the 2-day cycle. Next question. Do I do the alphabet in order from A to Z or do the stories in the order they appear in the Bible? And if I do the stories in the order they appear in the Bible, do I leave space in between them so that they will be in A to Z order in the MLB at the end of the year? I think we will do them in the order they appear in the Bible but NOT leave spaces in our main lesson books. I don't see any reason to recreate a traditional alphabet book, especially since we already know we'll be leaving some letters out.

Next...

What letters do I do and what stories do they accompany?

S - Snake - The Story of a Beautiful Garden

O - Ocean (porthole) - The Great Ship That Saved Eight People

T - Tower - The Tower That Was Never Finished

N - Needle - The Rich Man's Son Who Was Sold as a Slave

B - Baby - The Beautiful Baby Who Was Found in a River

R - River - The River That Ran Blood

V - Valley - How Moses Looked Upon the Promised Land

K - King - The Wise Young King

Z - Zigzag - this story "The Wise Man and the Little Bee" is from another book

W - Wave - Jonah and Nineveh

L - Lion - Daniel in the Den of Lions

Q - Queen - The Beautiful Queen of Persia

H - Horse - The Nobleman Who Built the Wall of Jerusalem

A - Angel - The Angel by the Altar

M - Manger - The Manger of Bethlehem


Ideally, I would like to get in C is for Cave and P is for Prince somewhere in there, because I know it would be easy to find stories for them, but we need 8 weeks at the end to get ready for the play. I'd have also loved to do Proverbs 23:5 with E is for Eagle. But looking at this as a whole, I love that the birth of Jesus comes right at Easter time so it goes full circle.

Anyway, this is just a brainstorm and we may find that instead of a 2-week cycle we do each story on its own day. In which case, I'll have to come back and think up some more.


This is very cool: you can also look inside this book with Google Reader.

No comments: